FREE 6TH GRADE MEMBERSHIPS
We have a big announcement to make at the YMCA! We are now offering FREE YMCA memberships to all area 6th graders!
Now you may ask, why is the YMCA doing this? We want to give middle school-aged students a safe place to go after school to connect with friends and exercise good habits.
“We know there are a lot of kids in our town who can’t afford a membership, so we want to eliminate that barrier.” – Troy Stickels, YMCA CEO
Why 6th graders? We felt 6th graders were the right age for our free memberships. They are at the age where they are just coming out of elementary school and are just starting to get mixed in with the older kids. Studies have shown that they are more vulnerable to stuff going on around them and are being influenced by older kids. This is a critical age in a young kids life when they start making decisions that can affect their future.
And The Free 6th Grade Memberships Are Just The Beginning!
We have a lot of kids who come here and we just don’t have anything for them to do. Over the next six months, we will be working to develop a program for youth when they come to the YMCA after-school that will keep them busy and engaged! We want to get this programming going for a lot of kids who stay home alone. The YMCA is a place where they can come and we’ll have a variety of things they can do to keep them busy.
Before Christmas break in 2018 we sent a survey to middle school students in Hastings asking THEM what kind of activities, clubs, and interests they may have. This will help guide our programming so we can offer things that kids will be excited about! Results varied from video game tournaments, movie nights, robotics clubs, cooking and baking, art, athletic activities, and more!
How do you apply?
- Download the 6th grade membership application. (or visit the YMCA)
- Return completed form to the YMCA.
- An enrollment specialist will help you complete your registration at the YMCA.
- Youth and parent/guardian must attend an orientation to go over the code of conduct that 6th graders with free memberships are expected to keep. Your enrollment specialist at the YMCA will help you sign up for the next orientation.
- Students can sign up for their free membership the Summer after they graduate 5th grade all the way through the school year.
Adams County schools include:
- Adams Central
- St. Cecilia/St. Michaels
- Zion Lutheran
- Christ Lutheran
- Silver Lake