Activities, Academics, Athletics and Active Play!
Nurturing the potential of every child
In the YMCA After School Program, at Adams Central Elementary, kids engage in physical, learning and imaginative activities that encourage them to explore who they are and what they can achieve. In addition to supplementing what they have learned in school, they participate in interactive learning activities that engage critical thinking skills, are provided time to work on their homework with trained YMCA staff, have a chance to socialize with peers and form long-lasting friendships that enhance their development, growth and self-confidence. Kids also have the opportunity to participate in STEAM activities (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math), a variety of literacy activities, healthy eating, and physical activities.
To be an after school program that implements the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
To provide quality, safe and nurturing after school programming that develops the whole child—mind, body and spirit—leading to success in school, society, work and personal achievement.
Hastings YMCA After School Program strives to:
- Offer the most diverse and highest quality after school programs for elementary age students in the community.
- Provide a safe, supportive environment where children develop social skills, build life-long friendships and gain self-confidence.
- Ensure that children who need after school care receive it regardless of ability to pay.
- Provide programming in four core content areas: art, literacy, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), and health and wellness.
- Support quality homework time with assistance, as needed, and scheduled free personal time.
- Engage children in at least 30 minutes of active, physical play every day.
- Offer healthy snacks.
- Offer additional enrichment activities.
Did you know?
- That afterschool is the peak time for kids to commit crimes, become victims of crimes, and experiment with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and sex.
- Of kids age 6-11, only 42% get enough physical activity.
- Students who regularly participate in quality after school programs make better decisions, improve work habits & grades, and have higher graduation rates?
- 88% of kids who regularly participate in quality after school programs have better social skills.
* www.afterschoolalliance.org ** www.summerlearning.org